Saturday, September 18, 2010

"This is going in a script, isn't it."

It is both a blessing and a curse to date a writer. Among the many blessings (and oh, there are many), you get an intelligent, perceptive, quick-witted partner with a boundless imagination and a remarkable way with words. And if you inspire her, she will be grateful to you forever. Unfortunately, you may not inspire her in quite the way you want.

I've done my time as a reporter, and had more than one source ask me, "Can this be off the record?" Similarly, I've had boyfriends and girlfriends who have asked me not to write about them, or about our relationship, or even about every-day things that happen in our lives.

You're asking a writer not to mine her daily life for material? Are you out of your mind?

That being said, I try to respect the wishes of those closest to me when it comes to sharing intimate details about my life or our lives. Identifying information will, whenever possible, be scrubbed out. Emotion-filled screeds will not be the order of the day here. I always respect that the people I'm dating are, you know, people, and no one likes to find that they've been written about on the internets. I'll do my best. Using material from life for a screenplay is a very different story than using it as inspiration for a blog. I'll try not to trip over myself too often.

Adventures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment